When it comes to the commercial trucking industry, jackknife accidents are a rather common occurrence. These may take place when the cab of the truck rotates away from the trailer itself in a way that it is rendered immobile, resembling a jack knife or a pocketknife closing. This may occur due to sudden breaking that may often cause a fully loaded trailer to either skid out of control, roll over completely or jack knife into the cab. This may also be caused by the driver’s negligence that results in the truck and the trailer swerving into an uncontrolled skid. Unsafe driving and speeding in particular are also very common factors that may result in an accident. Poor road conditions may also be a trigger for the accident.
People in the truck related accidents caused by jackknifing in many cases suffer from harsh traumas and in some cases even fatal injuries. The victims of jackknifing accidents are often left with severe damage to their property, stress as well as bodily injuries, which may result in medical treatment with a lot of expenses.
Factors that cause jackknifing accidents in general:
There is a number of different causes that may result in a truck related jackknifing accident. These may include:
- Negligence over maintenance: In case a truck driver or a company management fails to maintain equipment in an adequate condition and does not perform routine inspections. Without those inspections and maintenance the equipment may start to malfunction, creating risks of dangerous situations on the roads.
- Cargo overload: It may cause an unstable load, which in turn may result in a rollover accident.
- High speed: The driver’s reaction to respond to any road risks lessens, so the risk of getting into an accident increases tremendously.
- Aggressive as well as reckless driving.
- DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances).
- Snow, ice and other poor driving conditions: These may cause the heavy truck to slide out of control and crash into surrounding vehicles.
- Fatigued driver: This may create a very dangerous situation, when the driver is drowsy and nodding at the wheel, especially if he is driving a massive commercial truck.
- Night driving and impaired vision: Makes it hard for the driver to determine any potential conditions and hazards.
If you or your loved ones are victims of a jackknifing accident, it is crucial not to lose time and to get in touch with a qualified as well as genuinely experienced attorney at the earliest opportunity. That way, you will ensure that a professional lawyer is going to fight for your rights in court and will do his best to get you the compensation that you deserve. Only a good attorney will have what it takes to help you in a situation like this.
Injured in a jackknife accident? Contact us Now!